1. We, Hachette UK Limited of Carmelite House, 50 Victoria Embankment, London EC4Y 0DZ (“Company”), are a leading UK publishing group. A key strategy of ours is to understand our consumers so that we are able to identify and fulfil the needs and desires of our readers – we want to better understand how consumers read e-books and audiobooks and what appeals to consumers when it comes to browsing, choosing and reading e-books and audiobooks (the “Purpose”). We have partnered with Quantified Reading S.L. of calle Puerto de Navacerrada, nº 6, 1ºA, 28220 Majadahonda (MADRID), Spain (“QR”) to offer you the exciting Secret Readers Project.
2. The Secret Readers Project is a subscription service which, if you subscribe, gives you access to an online platform which allows you to browse, select and read various e-books and audiobooks for free. The available e-books and audiobooks will primarily be pre-publication books but in some instances may also be post-publication books. The relevant e-books and audiobooks will be available for you to read for a certain period of time. The service and the availability to the e-books and audiobooks will run from 15 February 2021 at 00:00 (GMT+1) to 15 February 2022 at 00:00 (GMT+1) (the “Project Time Period”). By subscribing to the service, you will be entered into an “inside readers” community and you will, unless you opt-out, receive emails during the Project Time Period about the Secret Readers Project. We will be collecting your Personal Data (see term 6 for more details) so that we can analyse aggregated reader behaviour to fulfil the Purpose. We will also, unless you opt-out, use your email address to contact you during the Project Time Period and twelve months thereafter to ask you whether you would like to partake in an extended or new Secret Readers Project (or similar project under a different name but for the same Purpose).
3. The Secret Readers Project is open to individuals from the United Kingdom who are 18 years old or over. You will need to access the Secret Readers Project through the website or iOS or Android app on a computer, mobile tablet or phone device. You will need the following browser or mobile OS provider applications and specifications: Android 4.3, iOS 8.0, Chrome version 67.0.3396.87 (Official build, 64 bits), and Firefox (Quantum): 61.0.1 (64 bits). If you are using the internet browser, Firefox, the default pop up blocker in Firefox must be deactivated in order for the Secret Readers Project to correctly work. To access and use the QR platform on which the Secret Readers Project is based, you will need to agree to QR’s terms and conditions for the use of the QR platform, which can be found here. By signing these terms and conditions, you warrant that you comply with this term 3 .
4. By signing up to the Secret Readers Project and agreeing to these terms and conditions, you are granted a limited, non-exclusive, revocable license to read (on a personal and non-commercial basis) the relevant e-books and audiobooks during the Project Time Period (unless you otherwise withdraw your agreement to these terms and conditions before such date).
5. The Company is the data controller of Personal Data that is collected during the Secret Readers Project and will use the Personal Data in accordance with the Company’s General Privacy Notice here and as set out in these terms and conditions.
7. You consent to the Company appointing QR to process your Personal Data in accordance with these terms and conditions – we confirm that we have entered into a written agreement with QR which reflects the requirements of the Retained Regulation ((EU) 2016/679) (UK GDPR) and Data Protection Act 2018. QR will store your Personal Data on a private, password protected, locked website and on a password protected excel file only accessible to QR managers appointed for the Secret Readers Project and the Company’s Audience and Innovation teams. Your Personal Data will be converted by QR to show aggregated and anonymous data from all the subscribers to the Secret Readers Project. QR will present the aggregated and anonymous data to the Company so that we can use it internally to undertake marketing analysis in accordance with the Purpose. The Company will store this aggregated and anonymous data on a shared drive in a password protected folder, accessible only to the Company’s Audience team and Directors of the Company and divisions of the Company.
8. The Personal Data shall be deleted on the earlier of: (a) six months following the end of the Project Time Period, or (b) the date you opt-out of the Secret Readers Project and request in writing that your Personal Data is deleted (subject to a reasonable and necessary time period for actioning the request). The aggregated and anonymised data presented to the Company shall be deleted by the Company one year after the end of the Project Time Period.
9. If you have any queries regarding the Secret Readers Project, please contact HUK.Cen@hachette.co.uk.
10. By ticking the relevant box on the landing page, you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions.
11. These terms and conditions and any disputes or claims (including non-contractual disputes or claims) arising out of these terms and conditions shall be governed and construed in accordance with the laws of England, whose courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction.